Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Birthdays,Ghosts, and Love.

I wrote this about two years ago. Enjoy.

The Common Thing between Birthdays, Ghosts and Love

Kat looked at the letter with scorn. “My dear Joanna, how silly you have been. I truly despise you,” Kat said. She crumpled the piece of paper and stomped on it. Then, she walked away into the dark, silent night.

I love mummy and daddy. Lately, they have been really nice to me. They play with me everyday and we always have so much fun together. Daddy does not go to work anymore. He says it is because he wants to stay at home and spend more time with the family.

Last week, we celebrated my eighth birthday. Mummy bought me a beautiful doll, the one I had always wanted. I was so happy. We did not invite anyone else to the party. We had fun playing musical chairs. Mummy played my favorite tune on our piano as daddy and I circled a stool. We would try to sit on the small seat when mummy stopped the tune. She would always stop it so abruptly that we always had to pause for awhile before grabbing the seat. After playing musical chairs, we dressed up my new doll. Mummy helped me to choose a pretty dress for my doll. I named her Carmelita. Mummy said she looked just like me. Daddy agreed too.

* * * *

“Yes dear, of course I remember Sophie’s birthday. I’m baking her birthday cake right now. What time are you fetching her from the kindergarten? Be sure to be back early so that we can celebrate her sixth birthday together. Bye.” Joanna smiled as she put down the receiver. She was so excited as if it were her own birthday. She hummed a tune as she sauntered back into the kitchen.

The melody brought back memories. It was Sophie’s favorite song. Joanna had hummed the same tune to Sophie whenever she rocked her to sleep. Since then, Sophie had always wanted her mother to hum the tune to her every time she went to bed. When Sophie felt down, Joanna would hum the tune to cheer her up.

The phone rang, snapping Joanna back to the present. She sighed as she wiped her hands on her apron and hurried to answer the phone before the answering machine did. “Mummy!” a voice squealed into the phone just as Joanna pressed the receiver onto her ear. She cringed and quickly pulled the receiver away from her ear.

“Happy birthday, honey. Why did you call?” Joanna asked. “Mummy, I just saw a beautiful doll on sale. Can you please buy it for me as a birthday present? Please?” Joanna was silent. She had seen the doll herself and she had planned to buy the doll for her daughter. Unfortunately, the doll had cost more than she could afford. After a little hesitation, Joanna agreed to buy the doll.

“Sophie will be so delighted when she sees this doll,” Joanna smiled to herself as she sat the doll on a mantelpiece. She stood back to admire it. It was then when she noticed it. The doll seemed to have charmed her. “Sophie, I will love you forever,” she crooned to the doll as she caressed it.

Joanna paced up and down. Sophie was supposed to be back hours ago. Joanna was getting vexed. She picked up the phone and dialed a number. She heard a voice. “Hello? Dear? Is that you?” Joanna asked. The voice kept repeating itself. It said, “I’m sorry. The number you had dialed is currently unavailable. Please try again later. Thank you.”

* * * *

What is happening to me? It was only yesterday that you bought another doll for me but now it seems like I’m almost invisible to you. Mummy, don’t you love me? It hurts to see you ignoring me. Mummy, I will love you forever. I will never leave your side.

* * * *

“I’m sorry, Joanna. I know it’s hard for you add I wished that there was some way I could help,” said Kat, Joanna’s best friend. “I had the doll ready for her and I even baked a cake for her,” sobbed Joanna. “Why did she have to leave me all alone? Why?” Kat put her arm around Joanna affectionately. “Joanna, you are my best friend and I hate to see you so miserable and lost. Sophie is not totally gone. You must remember that she will always live in you forever, if you want her to.” Joanna smiled through her tears. She felt much better already.

* * * *

Today, a strange man approached mummy. I did not like that man. He talked in a weird and funny way. I persuaded mummy not to listen to that man but mummy turned a deaf ear to my cry. Maybe it was because I did not call her loud enough. I tried to raise my voice but I could not. It seemed like I had lost much of my strength. I felt so weak.

Mummy, please stop thinking of what the man said. It was nonsense. You told me never to trust strangers. I love you more than he does. Why are you even considering his advice? You do not know what trouble you are getting into. Please. I am very weak now and I need your help and support. Please, I do not want to die again. Why are you doing this to me?

No!! Don’t forget me! Don’t erase daddy and me from your life. It feels awful to be ignored and forgotten. The whole world has forgotten me. You are my only hope.

Mummy, if that is what you really want, I will not stop you. I just want you to know that despite all your faults, I will still love you. Daddy and I are waiting for your arrival. We know you will come soon. We are waiting.

* * * *

Kat looked around. The dampness of the atmosphere hung all around her. The click clack of her shoes echoed through the house. As she stepped into a small room, she took a deep breath to hold back her tears. She walked to a dressing table nearby and dusted the mirror with her handkerchief. Then, as gently, she pulled out a drawer under the table and took out the last monument. She opened it and read it wistfully:

Dear Sophie,

I never did forget you. You misunderstood me. It was only manners to listen to the man. He was supposed to be a psychologist. I did not really believe him. I only pretended to. I am sorry I made you so weak. I did hear your soft cries. I am sorry for neglecting you. Deep down, I loved you. Have you not heard that a mother’s love is the greatest of all? Sophie, I am weeping tears of regret, remorse and sadness as I write this. My heart aches to think that you are in such a critical condition. I am sorry I made you wait for so long. As Kat said, you will live in my heart forever, if only I wanted you to. I never meant to hurt you in anyway. I am coming, Sophie. You do not have to wait any longer. We will be a happy family once again. I am coming.

* * * *

Behind her, someone was watching. “How dare you insult my mother,” the shadow growled. “You will pay.”

No comments: